City Year is proud to partner with the Peace Corps so our alumni can continue their dedication to service. City Year strengthens an applicant’s competitiveness and chances for being selected for Peace Corps service in education and youth development.
Peace Corps mission has not changed since President John F. Kennedy established the agency in 1961: To promote world peace and friendship through three goals: (1) To help the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women; (2) To help promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served and (3) To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans. Historically, nearly 200,000 Americans have served with the Peace Corps to promote a better understanding between Americans and the people of 139 host countries.
Working at a local level in 77 host countries worldwide to address complex and challenging educational needs, Peace Corps Volunteers introduce innovative teaching methodologies, encourage critical thinking in the classroom and integrate content like health education, environmental awareness and teaching English into their curricula. Many Peace Corps Volunteers also work in curriculum or materials development; train local teachers in K-12 schools, teacher training colleges and universities; and work in a wide variety of outreach projects with at-risk children and youth. Click here to learn more about what Peace Corps Volunteers do.
Benefits offered by Peace Corps
- Travel to and from country of service
- Stipend to cover living expenses
- Readjustment allowance of $7,425 (before taxes) at the end of 27 months
||Full medical and dental coverage while serving
||Peace Corps career services; graduate school opportunities, advantages in federal employment, and possible student loan deferment and cancellation.
- Click here to begin your online application. On average, the application process takes 9-12 months. Start your Peace Corps application today!
- Upon submission of your application identify your affiliation with City Year, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your full name and identify your affiliation with City Year. If you would like to talk with a Peace Corps representative about your application, contact Carey Clinton, National Outreach Specialist, at email@example.com.
To Contact the Peace Corps
Please fill out the contact form on the Peace Corps website to learn more.
Please note that all admissions decisions are made by the Peace Corps. Corps members and alumni interested in serving with Peace Corps must complete the full application process.